Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's Not Your Dad's Cigar Anymore, Baby!

In this day and age, when someone says that they are a "cigar smoker" there's a good chance that their cigar of choice is not what your Dad used to smoke.

When my Dad was a child, his father (Gramps) used to be a cigar smoker. This meant that every week when shopping at the grocery store, he wander over to the smoke shop next door and buy a box of White Owl Invincibles for $20 or so.

Gramps cigars were kind of nasty, IMHO.

Today when I refer to myself as a "cigar smoker", I'm referring to the many fine cigars available today. I dig the exotics; Acids are nice and indulging in a Cohiba now and again is heaven to me.

I've had people (non cigar smokers) accuse me of being a bit snobby about my hobby but I am quick to disagree. Yes I prefer cigars that cost more for one than Gramps paid for his whole box of stogies. But it's not about the economics. Rather it's about the quality of the cigar and I guess since I prefer the best (or as close to it as possible) I might appear to be a bit snobbish.

Fine cigars today come in a multitude of sizes, styles and price ranges. I can enjoy a nice Macanudo for $5.00 or so or I can splurge with something more lavish.

The whole point of it for me is to enjoy the smoke. If that's the case then I've been successful.

And the whole key for someone new to cigar smoking is to try a few different types of cigars until you find which ones please you the most.

0 comments: